The YWCA facility is 20 years old and with an aging facility there is a need for capital improvements such as in our indoor pool, locker rooms, computers in the computer lab, and HVAC system, carpeting, painting, repave and stripe parking lot and exercise equipment in the fitness center.
The YWCA of Northwest Indiana will commemorate its 100th birthday on October 31, 2020. The YWCA of Northwest Indiana want to keep the momentum going. We know that together, with your support, we are changing lives for the better.
The YWCA of Northwest Indianacontinues to be the “gathering place” for our community. We fulfill the national YWCA mission at the local level by providing programs that support health outcomes and educational attainment in the predominantly African American
population we serve. We are currently offering programs and services for women, seniors, kids and families.
- Seniors – over 160 seniors aged 60+ have a full calendar of social and recreational events including –Y- Bridge Club, line dancing, water aerobics; low impact/chair aerobics, bingo and brain games.
- Nutrition Site – Seniors receive hot meals (funded) by Northwest Indiana Community Action (NWICA) serving an average of 50 seniors daily Monday – Friday.
- Adults – Over 3,000 members/visitors have enjoyed life-changing Health & Wellness programs and regular access to a full service gym
- Only indoor public pool in Gary. Membership costs remain affordable to individuals, families and seniors. We offer a full complement of fitness classes with the goal of providing a variety of activities to encourage people of all abilities to make physical activity a part of their daily routine; such as water aerobics, Jazzercise, low impact chair aerobics, open gym, swim instruction, Zumba, yoga, line dancing & Chicago Style Steppin’.
- Youth – “Yes We Can After School Program -Over 100 children annually have received appropriate supervision which includes free tutoring for academic performance, hot meals, karate, swim lessons, obesity life skills and Summer Camp.